Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Your Arrival

November 15, 2011 at 1:00 PM, I headed to parent teacher conferences. I was having low abdominal pain and figured you just moved into a weird spot. Around 7:15 PM conferences finished and I headed home (I was in pain any time I stood between conferences). I immediately hit the floor on my hands and knees when I arrived home and called the on-call doctor who said it was probably just ligament pains and to take Tylenol. On my way to get Tylenol, I hit the floor on my hands and knees in pain again. I finally found Grandma Frederiksen to take me to the hospital.  (Funny Story: We got to hospital and I had to stop because I was having a painful contraction and I held onto a road sign and Grandma Frederiksen said she was going to get a wheelchair and I said "No, I'm ok" and then, "Ok, go get one" and then "Ok, I am ok, I am ok.") I expected it to be something simple and be sent home. When I went to labor and delivery I guess I said, “I’m not in labor, I’m just having pains.” They had me get into a gown and pee into a cup and there was blood. I started bawling and came out of the bathroom hysterical. The nurse had to finish dressing me. They thought it was a UTI and irritated cervix (my contractions weren't registering as contractions) and when they looked at me they realized they could see your head and no cervix. (Not good.) Grandma Frederiksen had left to call Grandma Smith to tell her everything was ok when I found out this news. Daddy and Grandpa Frederiksen just arrived from the WSU basketball game. 


Then, my doctor  (Marylynn Cardona) came in and told me I was dilated to an 8 and would be having a baby any time.  They put me on my head in a room to wait for Grandma Smith to arrive and Grandpa Frederiksen and Daddy gave me a blessing. (I am so grateful they hold the priesthood.) Grandma Frederiksen held my hand while they gave me an epidural. I went in for delivery and they broke my water. Grandma Smith and Daddy were with me. As I pushed, it seemed like you went further up instead of down so they did another ultrasound and saw that you had flipped around and become breech so I had to have a c-section. It turns out they had to give me a vertical c-section (inside) so I will never be able to have children vaginally. At first, I was disappointed and started to cry, but then I realized after you were here that I was just glad you were here safe. Daddy stayed with me the whole time. Your delivery went nothing like planned. I kept teasing the nurses that I hadn't "read that part of the book yet." We enjoyed the laugh. 


Your dad was a trooper. He was by me every moment doing his best to stay calm and keep me calm. It’s amazing how much stronger you realize you are when you have to be. I look back and was terrified, but things happened so fast I didn’t really have the time to freak out too much. I was just worried about losing you. I don’t remember you coming into this world. Daddy says he saw them immediately take you once you came out and you weren't crying. Daddy stayed with me for a few minutes and then left to be with you. He got to touch you just briefly. I guess I kept asking if you had hair and even though they answered, I still kept asking. 


Having you come early was the last thing I expected since my pregnancy had gone well. They aren't quite sure why you came early, but you did. Daddy and I believe the Lord has great plans for you that can't wait. I have been overwhelmed and tired. I've been scared and happy. I constantly worry about you. Life has unexpected turns and Daddy and I are just trying to enjoy this huge miracle and blessing in our life--- you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment