Monday, January 12, 2015

Turning a Corner... Maybe?!

Since our second visit to the hospital for feeding issues, I've been concerned that it was the formula he was having an issue with. I have asked the nurse practitioners many times about changing. Specifically changing to something called Vivonex. Some heart moms (even a nurse) recommended it after their little one didn't do well on Elecare. They tried the Vivonex and issues solved. It seems Elecare is usually the go to when a heart baby has a bloody stool. He did well on the Elecare for a few days and then horrible since. Mind you we have to be incredibly careful making any changes because he is in critical condition until after his next heart surgery. Any feeding changes we make can cause him to get NEC, which could kill him. So I can understand them being a bit hesitant.

The last time we were here they once again told me no on changing the formula. The NP left and I just got this feeling I needed to insist on changing the formula. When she came back in I was in tears and told her I had this strong feeling we needed to change formulas so she said ok. Looking back I feel like they set me up for failure. Reason being, they knew we already had a bloody stool once and that is why we went straight to Elecare. It often means a milk protein allergy. Well, they changed his formula, but to a milk-based formula and that's when we really started getting bloody stools--- milk protein allergy. He kept coming back negative for NEC so they sent us home and then we came back the next day because continued, increased bloody stools and weight gain (Dec. 21) and been here ever since. I have felt awful feeling like all the bloody stool issues were caused by me, especially after I felt so strongly about changing the formula. I struggle to recognize when I feel the Spirit and I could have sworn I felt it on this.

So, to today. They have had him on Pedialyte to see if he could tolerate anything and he has done so well! Pedialyte doesn't have calories though so he can't live off of it. A GI doctor finally came in today to speak with us (not a fellow or word of mouth from the NP, but an actual doctor). He said he thinks Easton is allergic to the Elecare. He did well a few days and developed an allergy to it. He said breastmilk and formulas are similar and so he wanted to try this other formula, Vivonex. It is predigested so he doesn't think he will have a problem digesting it and it is different than breastmilk/most formulas. He said everything I have been thinking since our second hospital stay!

Now granted, this may not fix the problem. He is already gagging a bit and spit up once. However, to hear someone say what I as a mom have been feeling for weeks, months, was huge! I am grateful he is wanting to try this and boy am I praying that it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment